How To Get A Work Visa For Spain

Spain Work Visa

Spain Work Visa

The following action items that will take the most time. Plan ahead and start early because the process could take 3 to 6 months!

Securing a job in Spain!

  • Residence/Work Authorization stamped by the Ministry of Labor (Ministerio de Trabajo e Inmigración) in Spain (your company or employer needs to get this for you)
  • Police Records Certificate
  • Original Medical certificate

If you are already in Spain and want this permit:

  • Contact your nearest Foreigner’s Office “Oficina de extranjera” for information.

(Go to my Spain visa page for information on other types of visas for Spain.)

Get a job

Get a job in Spain.

Gain approval for the visa

Get your employer to apply for approval from the Immigration Office in Spain.

Find your consulate

If you’re a U.S. resident. or non-U.S. resident:

Gather documentation

Gather the required documents and follow the procedures for the “Work Visa” or “Residence visa: To work in Spain as an employee.”

Submit Materials

Submit the information that you gathered in Step 4 to the consulate that you located in Step 3.

Depending on the consulate you might be required to make an appointment to apply in person. Your consulate website will have details on whether you will need to make an appointment in order to submit an application or if you can apply by mail.

Receive your Visa

Congratulations! After a period of waiting, the Spain Consulate/Embassy will give to you your brand new Spanish visa.

Vaccination Requirements

Don’t get sick! Check vaccination requirements here at the CDC.

Visa Hunter's Notes

If the visa is approved, the foreigner has one month (from the approval notice day) to appear in person to pick up the visa. Failure to pick up your visa within one month will be considered as a refusal of the visa and your application will be filed.

This visa will be valid only for Spain but allows up to five days for transit in the Schengen area before entering Spain.

Once you pick up your visa, you must enter Spain within the period the visa is valid for and your entry must be stamped on your passport or travel document, after that you must appear in person to apply for your residency card within one month.

Once you enter Spain, you can start working and you must register with the Social Security System as established by law.

Further Reading

About Addison Sears-Collins

Hey! I'm Addison Sears-Collins, the founder of Visa Hunter. You can learn more about me here. Connect with me by liking my fan page on Facebook, connecting with me on Twitter, or check out my website Automatic Addison where I build robots and embedded systems. accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the accuracy of the information contained on this site. Please read the Visitor Agreement and Disclaimer. If you think there is an error in the information, please bring it to our attention so that we can correct it. Also, some of the links above could be advertisements or affiliate links, which means that I will earn a commission (at no additional cost to you) should you decide to click on the links and make a purchase. I recommend sites from time to time, not because I earn money or get a tiny commission if you click on the affiliate links and make a purchase, but because, I want you to focus on the places that will deliver you the most value and the best results. Good luck!