How To Get A Student Visa For Spain

Spain Student Visa

Spain Student Visa

You will need a student visa for Spain if you plan to study or do research work in Spain for periods exceeding 3 months.  I’ve had a lot of friends get this visa, and I can show you the steps below on a high level of how to go about getting it.

Be advised that, if you want to work and study at the same time, you will need to apply for a work permit at the Consulate (or go to the Foreigners Office-Oficina de Extranjeros) in Spain.

The following action items that will take the most time (Plan ahead and start early!)

  • Official letter of acceptance as a full-time student in Spain from the Spanish University/School or US program.
  • Original Letter from your health insurance company of evidence of medical/travel accidental insurance.
  • Proof that you have enough money to support your stay in Spain
  • Go to my Spain visa page for information on other types of visas for Spain.
Find your closest consulate

If you’re a U.S. resident. or non-U.S. resident:

Gather Documentation

Gather the required documents and follow the procedures for the “student visa.”

Submit information

Submit the information that you gathered in Step 2 to the consulate that you located in Step 1.

Depending on the consulate you might be required to make an appointment to apply in person. Your consulate website will have details on whether you will need to make an appointment in order to submit an application or if you can apply by mail.

Receive Visa

Congratulations! After a period of waiting, the Spain Consulate/Embassy will give to you your brand new Spanish visa.

Vaccination Requirements

Don’t get sick! Check vaccination requirements here at the CDC.

Visa Hunter's Notes

U.S. citizens do not need a visa to study in Spain for less than 90 days.

This visa must be obtained for studies under 3 months by all nationals that are not EU citizens or they are from the countries that require visas to travel to the Schengen countries. Learn about the Schengen Area at this link.

You must apply at the Consulate where you study or have your permanent residency.

The application must be submitted in person by you or through your parents. If the parents apply for the visa on behalf of their son/daughter, the student must pick up the visa in person.

Applications by mail are not accepted by the Consulates.

By submitting your student visa application you can also apply for the visa for your spouse and children under 18 years of age.

The visa will be affixed to your passport before you depart the United States and it must be presented at your point of entry into the Schengen countries.

If your program lasts over 180 days, you must first obtain a visa to that effect. Within a month upon arrival in Spain, you must also request an authorization to extend your stay until completion of studies and the pertinent Student ID from the Spanish Police (Policía Nacional).

Further Reading

About Addison Sears-Collins

Hey! I'm Addison Sears-Collins, the founder of Visa Hunter. You can learn more about me here. Connect with me by liking my fan page on Facebook, connecting with me on Twitter, or check out my website Automatic Addison where I build robots and embedded systems. accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the accuracy of the information contained on this site. Please read the Visitor Agreement and Disclaimer. If you think there is an error in the information, please bring it to our attention so that we can correct it. Also, some of the links above could be advertisements or affiliate links, which means that I will earn a commission (at no additional cost to you) should you decide to click on the links and make a purchase. I recommend sites from time to time, not because I earn money or get a tiny commission if you click on the affiliate links and make a purchase, but because, I want you to focus on the places that will deliver you the most value and the best results. Good luck!