How to Get a Transit Visa for China

China Transit Visa

China Transit Visa

Passing through China on your way to somewhere?  You are going to need a transit visa.  Here’s how it works.

A Transit (Type G) visa is issued to a foreign citizen who is to transit through China on his/her way to a third country or region and will stay at a Chinese airport for more than 24 hours or need to leave the airport.

A Transit visa is generally a single-entry visa valid for 3 months with a stay of up to 7 days, unless otherwise specified on the visa application form and approved by visa officers. No multiple-entry transit visas are issued as a rule.

72-Hour Visa Free Transit: Also note that from Jan 1, 2013, passport holders of 45 countries and regions (including U.S. citizens) will be granted a visa-free stay of up to 72 hours while in transit via Beijing Capital Airport (PEK) and Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG) & Hongqiao International Airport (SHA). The destination and departure city cannot be the same.

Countries eligible for the 72-hour transit visa are listed here.

For frequently asked questions with regards to the 72-hour visa-free stay while in transit, click here.

TravelChinaGuide has excellent information on the China Transit Visa.

To view more Chinese visas, click here.

Find your consulate

Each consulate might require slightly different documents to apply for the visa. First, go to the website of the consulate that is responsible for your jurisdiction.

Find the visa page

Once at the homepage of your consulate, you will see a link somewhere on the homepage that says “Visas” or “Consular Information.” Click on the link.

Find your visa type

Continue to follow the links to find the information on the visa. You will normally see a link that either says “How to Apply for a Visa” or “How to Apply” or, simply, “Transit Visa.” Gather the required documents.

Submit documents and fees

Find out what fees you need to pay for the visa. The fees will be listed on your consulate website.

The consulates enable expedited processing of visas if you pay an additional fee.

Submit your documents and the fees to the consulate.

Receive your visa

Congratulations! After a period of waiting, the Chinese Consulate/Embassy will give to you your brand new Chinese visa.

China FAQ

Frequently asked questions on visas for China are answered here.

Vaccination information

Don’t get sick! Check vaccination requirements here at the CDC.

Further Reading

About Addison Sears-Collins

Hey! I'm Addison Sears-Collins, the founder of Visa Hunter. You can learn more about me here. Connect with me by liking my fan page on Facebook, connecting with me on Twitter, or check out my website Automatic Addison where I build robots and embedded systems. accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the accuracy of the information contained on this site. Please read the Visitor Agreement and Disclaimer. If you think there is an error in the information, please bring it to our attention so that we can correct it. Also, some of the links above could be advertisements or affiliate links, which means that I will earn a commission (at no additional cost to you) should you decide to click on the links and make a purchase. I recommend sites from time to time, not because I earn money or get a tiny commission if you click on the affiliate links and make a purchase, but because, I want you to focus on the places that will deliver you the most value and the best results. Good luck!