How to Get a Permanent Resident Visa for China

China Permanent Residence Visa

China Permanent Residence Visa

So you had an awesome time in China and are thinking of living there.  Maybe you have a boyfriend or girlfriend and China and are interested in paying him or her a visit (for a looong, looong time!).  Here’s how to go about getting a Permanent Resident Visa for China.

Permanent Residence (Type D Visa) is issued to a foreigner who comes to reside permanently in China.

To view more Chinese visas, click here.

Contact security

Get a Foreigner’s Permanent Resident Status Confirmation Form issued by the Chinese public security authorities.

Applicants may entrust their friends or relatives in China to apply for the permanent resident certificate from the entry-exit administration department of the local public security bureau.

D Visa holders must apply for a residence permit at the local public security authorities within 30 days of entry into China.

Find your consulate

Each consulate might require slightly different documents to apply for the visa. First, go to the website of the consulate that is responsible for your jurisdiction.

Find the visa page

Once at the homepage of your consulate, you will see a link somewhere on the homepage that says “Visas” or “Consular Information.” Click on the link.

Find your visa type

Continue to follow the links to find the information on the visa. You will normally see a link that either says “How to Apply for a Visa” or “How to Apply” or, simply, “Permanent Resident Visa.” Gather the required documents.

An example of the required documents can be found here.

Submit documents and fees

Find out what fees you need to pay for the visa. The fees will be listed on your consulate website.

The consulates enable expedited processing of visas if you pay an additional fee.

Submit your documents and the fees to the consulate.

Receive your visa

Congratulations! After a period of waiting, the Chinese Consulate/Embassy will give to you your brand new Chinese visa.

China FAQ

Frequently asked questions on visas for China are answered here.

Vaccination information

Don’t get sick! Check vaccination requirements here at the CDC.

Visa Hunter's Notes
  • These visas are small green books.
  • Don’t forget to register with your local Public Security Bureau (PSB) upon arrival.

Further Reading

About Addison Sears-Collins

Hey! I'm Addison Sears-Collins, the founder of Visa Hunter. You can learn more about me here. Connect with me by liking my fan page on Facebook, connecting with me on Twitter, or check out my website Automatic Addison where I build robots and embedded systems. accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the accuracy of the information contained on this site. Please read the Visitor Agreement and Disclaimer. If you think there is an error in the information, please bring it to our attention so that we can correct it. Also, some of the links above could be advertisements or affiliate links, which means that I will earn a commission (at no additional cost to you) should you decide to click on the links and make a purchase. I recommend sites from time to time, not because I earn money or get a tiny commission if you click on the affiliate links and make a purchase, but because, I want you to focus on the places that will deliver you the most value and the best results. Good luck!