How to Get a Temporary Resident Visa for Chile

Chile Temporary Resident Visa

Chile Temporary Resident Visa

A Temporary Resident Visa is granted to foreigners who travel to Chile for the purpose of settling in the country due to family ties, interest in the country or because their residency would be useful or advantageous to Chile.  Recipients are allowed to work, study and/or carry out business activities.  It has a maximum validity of one year.

Family members may be granted a Temporary Resident Dependent Visa.  Recipients are not allowed to work and the visa has a maximum validity of one year.  Find out which consulate is responsible for your jurisdiction.

Go to my Chile visa page for information on other types of visas for Chile.

Find your consulate

If you’re inside the U.S, you can find your jurisdiction here.

Note that the link above often goes in and out and is not always reliable. If the link is busted, I recommend Googling “Jurisdiction Chile Consulates United States.”

If you’re outside of the U.S., check at this site here.

Gather the required documents

Gather the required documents and follow the procedures here.

  • This list is a comprehensive list of all the temporary residence visas for Chile.
  • More information about visas for Chile can be found here.
Get your visa fees

Gather the appropriate fee. Search the website of your consulate or contact them to find out the fee as it varies based on your nationality.

Submit information

Submit the information that you gathered in Step 2 and the fee in Step 3 to the consulate that you located in Step 1.

Receive your visa

Congratulations! After a period of waiting, the Chilean Consulate/Embassy will give to you your brand new Chilean visa.

Vaccination information

Don’t get sick! Check vaccination requirements here at the CDC.

Visa Hunter's Notes

Don’t forget that once you get to Chile, you will need to register within 30 days of entry in order to get your registration document or Cédula de Identidad para Extranjeros.

For tax purposes, you will also need to likely get a RUT number.

Further Reading

About Addison Sears-Collins

Hey! I'm Addison Sears-Collins, the founder of Visa Hunter. You can learn more about me here. Connect with me by liking my fan page on Facebook, connecting with me on Twitter, or check out my website Automatic Addison where I build robots and embedded systems. accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the accuracy of the information contained on this site. Please read the Visitor Agreement and Disclaimer. If you think there is an error in the information, please bring it to our attention so that we can correct it. Also, some of the links above could be advertisements or affiliate links, which means that I will earn a commission (at no additional cost to you) should you decide to click on the links and make a purchase. I recommend sites from time to time, not because I earn money or get a tiny commission if you click on the affiliate links and make a purchase, but because, I want you to focus on the places that will deliver you the most value and the best results. Good luck!