How to Get a Resident Journalist Visa for China

China Resident Journalist Visa

China Resident Journalist Visa

A Journalist (Type J-1) visa is issued to foreign resident correspondents and their accompanying dependents. This visa is usually valid for the duration of one’s stay in China.  I’ll explain the steps below.

To view more Chinese visas, click here.

Contact the ministry

Contact the Department of Ministry of Foreign Affairs of People’s Republic of China or the Information and Public Affairs Section of the Chinese Embassy for preliminary procedures.

Ensure you have these documents

Make sure you get these two important documents:

  • Visa Notification Letter issued by the Information Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or relevant authorized agencies.
  • An official letter issued by the applicant’s media company.
Find your consulate

Each consulate might require slightly different documents to apply for the visa. First, go to the website of the consulate that is responsible for your jurisdiction.

Find the visa page

Once at the homepage of your consulate, you will see a link somewhere on the homepage that says “Visas” or “Consular Information.” Click on the link.

Find your visa type

Continue to follow the links to find the information on the visa. You will normally see a link that either says “How to Apply for a Visa” or “How to Apply” or, simply, “Journalist J-1 Visa.” Gather the required documents.

Submit documents and fees

Find out what fees you need to pay for the visa. The fees will be listed on your consulate website.

The consulates enable expedited processing of visas if you pay an additional fee.

Submit your documents and the fees to the consulate.

Receive your visa

Congratulations! After a period of waiting, the Chinese Consulate/Embassy will give to you your brand new Chinese visa.

China FAQ

Frequently asked questions on visas for China are answered here at Travel China Guide.

Vaccination information

Don’t get sick! Check vaccination requirements here at the CDC.

Sponsored Links

Further Reading

About Addison Sears-Collins

Hey! I'm Addison Sears-Collins, the founder of Visa Hunter. My dream is for a border-free world. I seek to destroy the barriers that prevent people from traveling or living in another country. You can learn more about me here. Join me in the border-free movement by liking my fan page on Facebook, connecting with me on Twitter, or adding me to your circle on Google+. accepts no responsibility or liability whatsoever with regard to the accuracy of the information contained on this site. Please read the Visitor Agreement and Disclaimer. If you think there is an error in the information, please bring it to our attention so that we can correct it. Also, some of the links above could be advertisements or affiliate links, which means that I will earn a commission (at no additional cost to you) should you decide to click on the links and make a purchase. I recommend sites from time to time, not because I earn money or get a tiny commission if you click on the affiliate links and make a purchase, but because, I want you to focus on the places that will deliver you the most value and the best results. Good luck!